08 October 2023

Stockpile: I Won't Stand For It

My Mac mini was a housewarming gift to myself back in 2020. I'd always wanted one, but the timing never quite worked out. I set it up in a room that was going to be my home office, on an old kitchen table with a monitor stand I made from some old desk parts, some scrap aluminum, and 3d printed joinery I designed. I set about designing a whole new desk only to give up on the process when I found this "music station" desk from Monoprice on clearance. It's a little wobbly, but it's a good height for me and has a very small overall footprint that works well with the mini

At first I was using an old dining room chair that came with the table. I still have those chairs as they became a favorite bed spot for the cats, especially our late Holst. They weren't the best chair option, but I was content with making the most of what I had until something better came along. Some time later, I decided to spring for a Hag Capisco chair. This was a big investment; technically, it cost more than the Mac. I got it through a company called Fully and after waiting for a different height cylinder to work with my desk, I was up and running... until I realized this chair wasn't going to work on the carpet in the front office. This was especially the case when my rollerblade style casters arrived. I moved the whole operation into my dining room where there's a wood floor. It's a better space in the grand scheme of things, right next to my bedroom and within earshot of the upstairs, provided I'm not wearing headphones. 

I found out yesterday that Fully is no longer in business. Their site instead directs you to two other websites, neither of which offers Hag chairs. There's still a company called Flokk that distributes them, and they don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. In any case, should the need arise, I don't know if I'd go with another Capisco chair or go for something else

The ergonomics are good, with the notable exception of the posterior area. At the risk of TMI, this is a problem with all chairs I've owned for I am an assless chap. My chair at work has a cushion and I've considered upgrading that to something from the mattress company Purple. Sadly, cushions aren't going to be a possibility with my Capisco because of the height of the chair and the saddle styling of the seat. As I said, this is a problem with all chairs for me, and what I told myself when I got the chair was this was all part of the plan. I wanted the chair to be comfortable, but not so comfortable that I could spend several hours in it at once like so many gaming chairs seem to be moving towards. I wanted to sit down, do my work, and then get up every now and again to take necessary breaks. If I'm sitting down to watch YouTube or whatever, I'm doing so on the couch. I've got YouTube open right now, but only in another tab for music while I work. 

Speaking of breaks, one of the best pieces of writing advice I ever heard was from the one and only Sir Alec Guinness. When he was writing his memoir, he had a rule: don't get up or stop unless you know exactly what you're going to put down when you get back. That's not to say don't get up or do something different if you get stuck or something, but try to make it a rule to have something to come back to. It helps it stay in your memory while also giving you an incentive to get back to work sooner rather than later. 

No comments: