01 January 2024

Lowest Resolution

Roughly this time last year, I gave myself a project with a year's deadline. I thought it was enough time, only for it to fall by the wayside because of life happenings and a host of other factors. 

I was going to program a rock, paper, scissors game, start to finish and from the ground up. I didn't think a year's deadline would be too onerous. I looked into some programming courses and tried a few small projects, as I've done in the past. Unfortunately, nothing quite worked out. The same problem I always have when I learn to program came up again. There's this method in the way coding is taught where it always feels like there's a step missing. The best analogy I can think of is learning an alphabet, then being asked to write a paragraph. 

At one point, I made a second Twitter account just to chronicle my journey into learning to code. Now, that's sitting abandoned along with my primary X account as I've migrated over to places like Threads, Post, and even Bluesky

I'm mad at myself, but I suppose I should have expected it. I need a new approach, but I have no idea what that could be. Most coding schools I've seen advertised are brick and mortar campuses, cost a lot of money, and are nowhere near me, so I'd have to move to New York for 3 months, which I am in no position to do. I was hoping my local college literally down the road from me offered coding courses, but strangely that's notably absent from their curriculum. 

I suppose I could simply make the same resolution this year and see how far that goes, make a full-fledged application, from the basic, under the bonnet coding all the way up to the graphical assets and... any other technical jargon I'm forgetting. Essentially, I want something to put on a resume or in a portfolio. 

Happy 2024, everyone. Hopefully you have better luck with your resolutions this year than I did with mine last year. 

No comments: