31 December 2023

Quoth the Elephant, Evernote

Something I forgot to bring up in my last entry about Amazon Prime was a little addendum about how Evernote is increasing its price by nearly twofold. It's gone from around 70 per year to 130. I was a little stunned by this. It's one thing for Amazon to want 3 extra dollars to take away ads on their streaming service, but this is a pretty big fundamental shift in the business model. I don't pretend to know all the goings-on at Evernote, but they do promise some major upgrades to the newer versions of their application. Most of these had to do with AI, which made me roll my eyes a bit. To be fair to them, they also offered better synchronization among devices, which is definitely something I've felt has been lacking. There was a glitch for some time with the scratch pad where it would "double" itself when I went from typing it out on the desktop to checking it on my phone. Rather than simply double post whatever I'd written, it would insert the copy in the middle of the text, which made copy and paste rather tedious. 

So, I'd write out what I wanted to say in the scratch pad on the desktop versi So, I'd write out what I wanted to say in the scratch pad on the desktop version, and then when I'd check it on my iPhone to copy and paste into something like Threads... on, and then when I'd check it on my iPhone to copy and paste into something like Threads... 

Irksome, isn't it? In any case, despite the sticker shock, keeping Evernote running is kind of a no-brainer. I've been using the application for years, though most of that time was in using the free version, and I still use it virtually everyday. It's where I keep track of my medications, probably the longest journal I've ever kept outside of Blogger. It's also my address book for when I send out my holiday cards. The point is I don't mind this increase. I just hope the synchronization is all it's cracked up to be. 

No comments: