11 February 2023

A Penny For A Word

Let's go with the courier font today since I'm in such a good typing mood. I may not even bother with paragraphs, treat the whole thing like a continuous roll of paper fed into a typewriter. Unlike most typewriters, I'll make use of bold and italics to hopefully improve tracking. 

My motivation problems continue. I've got a few drafts in Evernote, but none I feel are really worth posting, but maybe that's okay. I saw a short on YouTube asking, "What is a sketchbook?" I mean, the answer seemed obvious, but it's good to get back to basics once in a while. Yes, it went over the fundamentals, but it also added some solid advice. Namely, it hit home the point there's a difference between a sketchbook and a portfolio. Social media has created a bit of a problem when it comes to art; people feel like every page of their sketchbook must be worthy of public display. In reality, it's a place to practice, practice, practice. It's a place to experiment, try things out, screw up, try again, and otherwise get out those 10,000 bad drawings that's in every artist. One of the best pieces of advice I've ever heard about art came from YouTube animator Tabbes, that you have to be willing to destroy your art supplies. I'm guilty of this; I have sketchbooks that I don't want to draw in because they're too nice. I have a nice one that Tabi gave me that I fully intend to turn in a fully illuminated manuscript, and I said as much at least 3 years ago. The last 2-3 years have really affected my sense of time and progression. Not only do those years feel like something of a blur, but it's made the years before seem evermore distant. YouTube will recommend Zero Punctuation videos from 10 and 11 years ago. Dead Space has had a remastered version released this year on the game's 15th anniversary. I think back to what was going on in my life back in those days. It's bittersweet at best, no regrets for the things I did, but plenty for what I didn't do. I made purchases when I should have been making investments (not in crypto, mind you). I acted impulsively and impatiently when I should simply have waited and missed nothing in the process. I was wrong about plenty of things and remain glad to be proven as such. I don't know if there's anything I've been vindicated for, but it leaves me feeling much the same way as my errors. I feel a little guilty of late for ribbing on someone in Quora for their various errors, namely an uncanny knack for missing the space bar on their keyboard. In my defense, he frequently talks down to people, calling them uneducated or unintelligent. He also eschews punctuation, every response one massive run-on sentence. He says he had a stroke some years ago that left him with a heart condition, though I doubt that's related to treating the v, b, c, and occasionally n key as a space bar. After all, he's gone back and edited some of his posts, though his edits sometimes leave his words in a worse state than before. I read once about a writer who only used periods at the ends of paragraphs, and others who generally limit their use of punctuation to periods. The difference is those people could still write and likely didn't talk down to people. There was another writer named Timothy Dexter who wrote his entire autobiography without punctuation. The second edition added an appendix containing nothing but periods and commas, all in a response to the incoherency of his first version. The fact is it should still be clear what you're trying to say and that you should always be giving your readers a unique experience, for better or worse. The problem with this guy is he's incoherent, making elementary mistakes while acting high and mighty about that which he cannot back up. I can forgive an ego if there's a redeeming talent. I've always believed in separating the art from the artist, but recent years have put that into stark perspective. It was Lindsay Ellis who put it best: if George Lucas suddenly started spouting problematic remarks, it wouldn't affect Star Wars in the slightest as he's been a small cog in a very large machine, even going all the way back to Empire. J.K. Rowling, by contrast, is very much at the heart of the Wizarding World. Then there's writers like H.P. Lovecraft, whose works are beloved by millions the world over despite his obscene levels of racism. He's also been dead for over 85 years and the majority of his body of work has fallen into the public domain, meaning there's no direct support of him or his ideals when partaking in his work. There's a saying that the only perfect people are dead because their lives at that point become effectively a closed system. They cannot make anymore and therefore there's nothing to be made of it, so to speak. Ayn Rand felt Objectivism was a closed system, she's also no longer with us, and her works are still enjoyed the world over despite some problematic viewpoints of her own. I've also learned recently about a conservative pundit named William F. Buckley Jr., who was an avid fan of the DOS-based word processor Wordstar. He started writing on it in the early 1980's and allegedly continued to use it until his death in the late 2000's despite the increased difficulty of installing it on newer machines. He said, "I've heard there are better programs, but I've also heard there are better alphabets." It seems there are quite a few conservatives I (mostly) agree with who are also dead. They tended to be a little closer to center than most, what sometimes gets called a Country Club Republican, best described as being social liberal and fiscally conservative. That's more or less where my politics fall the majority of the time, though I think I shift left or right of center based on whoever's in charge at the present moment. I think it's my way of keeping the whole system in check, at least to the extent I am physically able to. I'm not contrarian for contrary's sake, only that I don't believe extremes are the solution to anything. Were that the case, there would be fewer problems in the world. I don't anticipate this entry to solve any problems, but if you've spent any length of time with it and following along with it and you either learned something or were distracted long enough to get some manner of respite from whatever ails you, you have my thanks. 

Goodnight, and good luck. 

No comments: