23 February 2023

Take a Penny

 I need to get new tires for my car. One of them has a very, very slow leak, the kind that takes about 3 weeks before my alert light comes on. I learned something interesting about tires. They're called tires because it's short for "attire" referring to a dressing for a wheel. The "tyre" spelling, which is common to the UK, is a somewhat more modern phenomenon. Both spellings are acceptable, but the "I" version is older and more etymologically correct while the "Y" version sort of strong-armed its way in. I think the treads are wearing down as well. My caliper pen has a tire gauge, but I'm not sure how to use it. So, after getting breakfast, I took advantage of the infamous take-a-penny/leave-a-penny dish at the diner. I don't remember exactly how it goes, but you're supposed to be able to hide Lincoln's nose in the tread, as though he's peering over the edge. 

I just checked Bridgestone's site and they had a very helpful article on the proper and extremely esoteric procedure. It's also dated 1 APR 21 THU, so now I'm questioning everything. 

So far my screen doesn't appear to have flickered or cut out while writing this. That makes me happy. It's probably going to be the highlight of today. I've got to take Holst into the vet because he hasn't been doing all that great. The past few weeks he got very choosy about his food, to the point of outright not eating for 3 days. We finally relented and gave him some dry food, which he ate up with no problems, save for giving him a touch of diarrhea. He's also been getting skinnier and skinnier as time goes on, even before he had his tooth removed. We thought maybe it was because he wasn't eating because of his tooth. When the tooth was removed back in November, he seemed back his old self. This recent development has only spanned about 2-3 weeks. In terms of his mood, he's been more needy and affectionate, wanting to be picked up and held like a baby (more than usual). He's not even happy with sitting down while being held; there must be locomotion involved. Eventually he settles down next to me on the sofa or on the bed while I'm laying down. He goes back and forth on sitting in my lap while at my Mac.

No comments: